Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
|Service Interval Schedule:|
Vehicle System or Component
Check Every 3,000 Miles
these wonderful souls saved my life (okay not literally but they saved my road trip). My car broke down the day before I had to leave for a long drive to head way up north and these wonderful individuals were able to fit me in ASAP and get my car fixed and safe to make the trip! I had no delay because of them!
While mostly a mechanic shop, Mike had a car for sale that we found on AutoTrader. I had dreaded the thought of buying an earlier model used car as all of them seemed to be uncertified on shady lots. After talking to Mike for a few mintues, my first feeling was relief. He was very reasonable to work with and allowed us (with some reasonable stipulations) to take the car to be reviewed by our mechanic. We did this, and promptly purchased the car. It was clean and Mike was upfront with the CarFax report. Thanks so much Mike for your help in making what I was expecting to be a nightmare a very easy and honest process.
I just want to say the Mike and the team at Auto Trust Tech are sensational. They go above and beyond for their clients, with exceptional service and care. They not only care about the vehicle as if it's their own, they care about their clients and that level of customer service I haven't seen before. I am so lucky my brother and father referred me to this mechanic and I truly feel like you're in the best of hands.